This article will cover the steps to enroll for an Apple Developer Program. This is a necessary requirement to publish your mobile app on the Apple App Store.
Let’s get started:
You can have multiple apps under your account as long as they apply directly to your business and are all different in nature or intent. Additionally, they must adhere to Apple's terms and guidelines.
1. Create an Apple ID
Navigate to the Apple Developer website. Create an Apple ID if you do not already have one by entering the following details:
- First name and Last name
- Email ID (This will be your new Apple ID)
- Security Questions
2. Activate two-factor authentication
Once you have created an Apple ID, you’ll need to enable two-factor authentication. This is a necessary requirement for all Apple IDs by Apple. You can set up two-factor authentication with an iPhone, iPad, or a computer.
iPhone & iPad:
Follow these steps for setting up two-factor authentication with an iPhone or an iPad:
- Start by clicking on Settings.
- Click on your name at the top.
- Click on Password & Security.
- Tap on Two-Factor Authentication to turn it ON.
Here, you may be prompted to answer a few security questions. Follow the instructions on the screen and answer the security questions.
Follow these steps to set up the two-factor authentication on the Apple Computer.
- Go to the Apple menu on the top left
- Then select System Preferences
- Click to open iCloud and then Account Details
- Click on Security and click on Two-Factor Authentication to turn it on
If you do not have an Apple product to set up two-factor authentication, reach out to the Apple support team to set it up on a non-Apple product.
3. Sign in to your account
- Click on the Account button on the main header of the Apple Developer page.
- Enter your Apple ID and account password to sign in to your account.
If you do not have an Apple ID yet, you can create one by clicking on the Create yours now button.
4. Apple developer program
- You will arrive at the Apple Developer Agreement after signing in.
- Go through the agreement, and hit the checkbox, and select Submit.
- You will be redirected to your Account page.
- Inside your account, you’ll see a section called Join the Apple Developer Program. Select the option.
- This action will redirect you to Apple’s Program page.
- Click on the Enroll button in the main header.
5. Enroll into the Apple developer program
You can either enroll as an Individual or as an Organization in the Apple Developer Program. We have discussed these two account types below:
Enroll as an Individual
- This type of account is for an individual.
- This account only allows for single primary login into the Apple developer account.
- Additionally, the developer’s name will also be made public on the Apple App Store.
- Sign up for an individual account only if the app is branded to you (and your name) as an individual.
- We, however, highly recommend that you create an account as an Organization for multiple added benefits and features over an individual account.
Enroll as an Organization
- This type of account is for companies and organizations.
- This account will allow multiple user logins to be created and managed.
- The name of the company or the organization will be made public.
- Enrolling with the correct account type is vital to getting your app submitted and approved by Apple. Therefore, be very vigilant in this step.
Enrolling yourself as an organization will require you to provide a D-U-N-S Number. D-U-N-S number is a unique combination of nine-digit numbers that are assigned by Dun & Bradstreet and are widely used as standard business identifiers. Apple requires this information to verify your organization’s identity and legal entity status.If you do not have a D-U-N-S Number, then you get one for your organization here. Enrolling for and getting a D-U-N-S Number may take a few weeks to process.
Start your enrollment
- Click on Start your Enrollment once you decide whether to enroll as an individual or an organization.
- Once you are on the Apple Developer Program Enrollment section, confirm the following Apple ID information.
- Entity type
- Then select the type of account you are enrolling as. You’ll get to select from the following options:
- Individual / Sole Proprietor / Single Person Business
- Nonprofit Organization
- Accredited Educational Institution
- Company / Organization
- Government Organization
- Click on Continue to proceed.
6. Contact information
In this section, you’ll be asked to fill out the contact information for your account. You’ll be brought to a series of web-pages where you’ll be submitting your personal information.
7. License agreement and registration fee
- After reviewing the Apple Developer Program License Agreement, check the box to agree and click on Continue to proceed
- You’ll be redirected to the payment gateway.
- Review your information and then enter your payment details. Click on Continue to proceed. You’ll be asked to submit details like your billing address and card details.
- Once you have completed the payment process, all you have to do is wait for a payment approval email from Apple. This may take up to 24 hours as well.
After you receive the payment approval email, your Apple developer account would have been created.